Texas Ironman Logo

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A goal within a goal

As I mentioned in my opening blog, my Ironman dream is more than just something I am doing for myself. I want to make my Ironman journey a fundraiser for an organization that really means something to me. It has taken a bit of time to get off the ground, but it is now offical. Let the fundraising begin for the Arthritis Foundation!

www.active.com/donate/texasironman2012

Why the Arthritis Foundation? Arthritis and the conditions that it encompasses has affected me and my family deeply. When I was 21, I was diagnosed with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disorder (also called Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder). My condition has the symptoms of RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis), Lupus, Scleroderma, and other rheumatic conditions- yet it is not definitively any of these. Many people with my condition go on to a solid diagnosis and others remain in an undiagnosed limbo. Also, my mother is currently battling RA and over the last few years I have seen the physical and mental toll it has taken on her. Other members of my immediate family have suffered (or are suffering) from conditions including osetoarthritis, fibromyalgia, pseudo-gout, and lupus. Its hard to say if it is truely genetic or just bad luck. I do know I am the youngest member of my family to have symptoms.

I am able to manage my condition with medication and by staying active. Completing an Ironman is difficult enough for someone without a joint condition. I know it will be tough but I know that I will have to rely on my mental toughness to get me though when my physical body may begin to let me down. Though my blog, I want to highlight the different conditions under the label of "arthritis" and show everyone what I do to control my condition as well as some of the symptoms and treatments of my mother as she battles RA.

I am fortunate to have been put in contact with the Houston office of the Arthritis Foundation and I have set up my donation page. All proceeds will go to the Arthritis Foundation. My rheumatologist is also helping me with my fundraising. I will be setting up a display in his office with links to my donation page. He has also agreed to donate money towards my new bike as he participates in triathlons himself. I hope to have him write a guest blog for me someday!! ;)

If you know anyone who might be interested in helping me in my campagin, please send them the link to my donation page (www.active.com/donate/texasironman2012) or have them email me (sabs35@comcast.net). Thanks for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment